Saturday, August 18, 2018

Get Into Libraries | Last Returns & Goodbyes

08.18.2018 – It has been a week since leaving Adelaide South Australia and spending the past seven days re-adjusting to the most densely populated and inadequate city in the Philippines and if things have become quite a challenge going through navigating from one city to the other you’ll probably won’t even bother to notice it.

Last Saturday it was my last trip to Marion Libraries located at the back of Westfield Marion. It was the most frequent time spending to study, read up the latest magazine, and also borrowed DVDs and audio CDs that I have the opportunity to appreciate each of them. From old cancelled TV shows to graphic novels that you’ll probably never see it in your nearest bookshop.


The last trip to the public library was sort of bittersweet and still misses it since in the Philippines there’s no well-maintained or updated public library in either Makati or in Manila as these cities have very limited in keeping heritage like the rest of the country. I tried checking the National Library in Manila and it was under renovation while recalling that the only public library in Makati is in the Ayala Museum, which is so outdate and the same goes to the one located in the Makati City Hall that I have inquired several months back that they have a dress code that’s blatantly discriminating when libraries particularly in South Australia is inviting.

I brought the books and audio CDs that I borrowed for the past months. Most of them I haven’t had the time to really read them, but I did the best I can to browse over and appreciate the pages of each book. The graphic novels though were difficult to let go but I was thinking that the Infinity Gauntlet will probably available at Fully Booked while I don’t need to worry about the Superman:Birthright since I already have a hardcover copy that Gerry Alanguilan has given me signed by him and Leinil Yu during its released that is also my only hardcover graphic novel.









Late Arrival of Marwencol

It’s not really bad timing but just about returning all the stuff I borrowed the only copy of Marwencol in South Australia just arrived on my reservation list. I’ve been looking forward on this book since it was now adapted into sort of a biopic based on the incident of the writer who was beaten to death in a bar and after he was recovering there was no funds for him to pay for therapy, which he provided himself with an alternative in producing this book featuring all of his photos using dolls on his yard.

It’s actually a toy photography book that was published in 2016 that put the interest in the hobby on the map and inspiring more toy photographers all over the world. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take it home since I’m heading back to Manila the following day. But I had the opportunity to browse and take photos of the book.



Favorite Book Returns

Of all the books I borrowed that I have returned it was the Osamu Tezuka coffee table book and Marwencol as personal favorites. Even though I wasn’t able to have the time to read both I was able to copy the Read Player One audio book narrated by Wil Wheaton, which I listened to randomly on the plane back to Manila last Sunday.

The Tezuka coffee table book had a DVD included and was able to watch the documentary about the artist, but due to the player on my laptop having a difficult time reading the disc it stops halfway to the interesting parts of his life. I wasn’t able to copy the file, but it gave some insight about his last works prior to his passing.



Getting Into Libraries

Prior to leaving Adelaide I manage to download the Libby app as suggested by Spyro and the other staff assigned last weekend to access the digital versions of the magazines they have in the library, but since I’m now outside Australia I wasn’t able to access it although the app is available even though you’re based overuses.

But surely it was a wonderful time spending my days at the Marion Library at the back of Westfield Marion. The only Marion library I wasn’t able to visit is the one at Park Holme, which was really off the way on my regular commutes. It is either the library is closed or I was off to another place nearby that kept me from going to this place with an interesting mural outside promoting the “Get Into Libraries” campaign.

I’m surely going to miss everyone back at the Marion Libraries at Cove Library and at the back of Westfield Marion. I know this is not the last time I’ll be going there since I still have my library card. But for now, thankful to have great time getting to know everyone I met at both places.

Special acknowledgement to Marion Libraries where borrow other the movies, television series, and music that you can also take home just LIKE Marion Libraries on Facebook and follow on Instagram or visit the website at: www.Marion.sa.gov.au/venues-and-facilities/libraries

No comments:

Post a Comment