Thursday, April 26, 2018

ANZAC Day 2018 | Lest We Forget

04.26.2018 – Australia has a lot of stories from their past through their culture heritage.

They also have so many holidays that it’s true about them being laid back kind of community. But when it comes to important national holidays this country takes it to heart how important this day would be for everyone and you'll feel like it has become part of your life too.

And then there’s ANZAC Day, a national day of remembering from Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served".


It’s observed April 25th each year originally devised to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli against the Ottoman Empire during World War I. Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, and Tonga, and previously was a national holiday in Papua New Guinea and Samoa.

With a national day most of the shopping centres or establishments are closed similar to Christmas and New Year. So I figured to honor this day I took my push bike and travelled to Brighton Beach, which is 1.4 km from where I live and it has been a while since I travelled on two wheels which is also an excuse to exercise.







I first heard about ANZAC day when I used to work in one of the BPO companies several years ago were I was under the Australian portfolio. So the exposure to Australian culture was part of the job dealing with clients. But seeing ANZAC day happen gave me such respect for this holiday.

A friend even dressed up for this event the night before where his family was part of the yearly event remembering those who gave their life for their country. I also saw most Australians dressed in their military uniforms in the pubs downtown yesterday.





But the photos in Brighton will give you a perspective how they remember this day. I never expect this to experience let alone only knew “Australia Day” in January though that has another story to tell, ANZAC Day would be one of the most important national holidays that the Australians have respected.

I stayed almost an hour just soaking the ocean breeze and seeing families and elder retirees pass by to snap photos of the Arch just the front of the Brighton jetty where I always walk whenever I’m always here in this place.



Brighton is a bit tamed when it comes to crowd unlike Glenelg that most people tend to go due to being heavily commercialized. This place is more intimate and gives you time to sit down and relax with your friends or family. ANZAC day will be this place and lest not forget those brave souls who sacrificed their lives for Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment