Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Evolution of My Digital Photography.

11.11.2010 - Photography what makes it the most attracting hobby to date? Honestly I don't know the technicalities to go through with such complex technology. But one thing I know is it helps me produce content using these cameras that evovled through technology over the years.

What I know is capturing a better perspective. Its often I'm interested to upgrade my gear as I've been a shutterbug since I was nine years old. Growing up my fascination with a camera gives me that curiosity to capture images that define every store and perspective, and here's how they evolved throughout the years.

Jump after the cut...


Since High School I've been using film cameras and spending my lunch money for the films to be developed. But when digital cameras were introduced I got excited and curious about how the technology is all about qwithout the use of developing films with only you can worry about is the memory built-in the camera itself. The 35mm film camera was my point and shoot, which became a standard at that time. But the very first and premature digital camera came about in 1999.



It was the RCA CDS1000 digital camera, which does not have an optical zoom or an LCD screen at the back. But it has 0.3 Megapixels the most standard at that time, which didn't last since it was the most sensitive usb connection to date.



Though it delivered one of the best photos, and then it followed by a webcame/pen camera from Aiptek. It was not your average camera but when stalking was not yet the term back then it was a good stealth camera hardly no body cared. This followed by a Nokia 3650 mobile phone with a round dial keypad, and a less mega pixel photo quality. By 2003 I got what I thought the best camera could have, which is the Nikon Coolpix 3100 with a 3.2 megapixel and 3X optical zoom.



I guess that was the normal standard until it broke down in 2005, and switched to my current brand. Namely a Canon PowerShot A430 with a 4.0 Megapixel and a 4X optical zoom. It was my first digital camera which I bought from a hard earned salary.

I'm a happy shutterbug until Dad went to Japan and got me the PowerShot S5iS, which would have DSLR standards having 12X optical zoom and 8 Megapixels. From 2004 up to 2009 there where other digital cameras I used. Namely the Casio QV R-40 with 4 Megapixels and 3X optical zoom. Then there was the Olympus FE-360 the most handiest with 8 Megapixes and 3X optical zoom.



The regular camera I used mostly for Toy Photography was the PowerShot A430 and for event coverage was PowerShot S5iS. Until both have been worn out by age. This year I have gone through several upgrade by getting the Canon PowerShot A480 with 3.3 optical zoom and a standard 10 Megapixel photo quality among the compact cameras. I thought I would stop there.


Until my PowerShot S5iS went down in May 2010, and the only camera I had was the Canon PowerShot A480. By July 2010 Dad comes to the rescue, and he got me the most wanted Canon PowerShot SX210IS in sleek black. This one was the update I'm waiting for with 14 Megapixel and 14X optical zoom.



It was my most wanted camera, since seeing it being unveiled last February 2010 at Canon's event. By the end of August I have two regular cameras replacing the two PowerShots I acquired in 2006 and 2007.

Being satisfied with the current technology has been my personal contentment. I enjoy taking photos with point and shoots. The Canon PowerShot SX210IS has DSLR qualities, but not full to give you the most breath taking images. Its a workhorse camera that gives you what you want. But upon realization the trend of using a point & shoot is becoming a lost art. It is due to the advent of the Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera.


Gone are the days when you have a digital camera, which means you got the best equipment. Now there are classifications, which digital camera your currently using. The current technology has raised the bar for DSLRs to be the most used camera by anyone serious in getting into photography.

Anywhere you go you see a lot of people having a DSLR sling to their necks. Its the most bling that you'll ever see right now. But as an individual and a firm believer, that a device can only enhance one person's talent. Its not the device that enhance one individual's skill. I still continue to use the PowerShot series, and a lot of my most trusted friends can attest I got game having a good perspective. Regardless what type of camera I use I have the uncanny way of taking the best shot.

Its been a long time for me at this level, and why not raise that skill up to the next one?

There are instances that I have fears of chartering the unknown. I've been at my comfort zone long enough to see what I got when it comes to taking a better perspective.

When Canon had announced recently about the release of the Canon EOS 60D I was fairly impressed with its key features. Some of them are familiar, and yet this camera is not a beginner's camera for those who just started using a DSLR. This is a Semi-Pro DSLR next to the best thing. --The Canon EOS 7D. But I'm not going there yet as I'm a student of life and I have a lot to learn about using a DSLR.




In some ways I have avoided previous DSLR releases as I was not impressed entirely about the concept. What I look at the camera is functionality, and mostly it should have video recording as one of the major key points. The other is the live view option that is mostly available in all digital cameras, and lastly I want a movable LCD screen, that I came well accustomed with when I had the PowerShot S5iS. Evidently this camera fits the bill for my want list right now. It depends really in how one device can fit into your lifestyle such as owning a DSLR.

Two years ago all the DSLRs that came out didn't have video recording, and live view function until Nikon D90 came out. But I was still not interested and not impressed with Nikon. One instance is having a bad customer service experience with the local distributor for Nikon.

To tell you the truth I like Nikon's photo quality compared to Canon, but the customer service really turned me down when I had to bring my Coolpix 3100 for repairs. There was a problem with the knob switch that popped out. When I brought it for repairs they fixed it, but not as what I expected. They just glued the knob switch without even replacing it with actual parts like it was done on a rush job.

It cost me a lot of money to pay for something done with less quality. So when my Nikon Coolpix 3100 stopped taking pictures in May 2005 I have to put it to rest. Canon was the next best thing for me to make the switch.

Because when I had encountered problems with my Canon PowerShot A430, the customer service was above and beyond in getting my camera fixed. To cut the long story short Canon had already been around for me to continue using their products. Though not to ignore the other brands for now this works for me. Until they fail in giving me a good customer service, but as competitive Canon can be that won't happen any time soon.

So what's to love about the Canon EOS 60D? Pretty much what I want in a camera, that I already mentioned. All I have to do now is enroll into a crash course training in re-learning how to take good photography this time using a DSLR.

Though its wishful thinking I'll ever own one with a kit lens of 18-135mm. Its going to cost more than enough for me to start working now to pay for it.

Before I knew it there's a new camera out for next year, and that's what I don't like about the ongoing evolution of digital cameras. They don't stay longer to support one product. Its a contant move to change every year, but who cares I lived enough to see a lot of good cameras pass me by.

If I'm going to get my first ever DSLR let there be Canon EOS 60D as my first to acquire. Unless they come up with an EOS 70D next year, and replacing 7D with a better professional DSLR to date.




As I said again its not about the device, that enhance an individual's skill. Its the talent which is enhanced by the device itself.

If you have been born with a good eye for it, all you need is a fairly good camera to deliver a great perspective. Its a trial and error to learn from a bad shot to a good shot. Getting serious with photography using a DSLR is a different place, and why not take it to the next level right?

I know a lot of people told me to get out of my comfort zone. I will once I get my Canon EOS 60D, and then let's see how we level the playing field.

No comments:

Post a Comment