Sunday, June 28, 2020

Behind the Lens | A Moment in Space

Sometimes the best laid plans don’t actually work when you’re not prepared for the task at hand. Spending almost half of the day looking for the crucial piece as part of the prop and set up is like looking for a needle in a haystack. The idea was there but the execution was a fail in so many way in finding that important device. Indoor Photography set ups are no longer my forte and yet it got me interested again.

There’s this month-long contest by Brick Central called “Shot at Home” where you put your LEGO Minifigure in these places, but the challenge there was the use of home-based items that seemed quite the interest that there have been some of the best well-made set up that was quite inviting and at the same time enticing not to ignore.


Of course, this wasn’t the first time I’m doing this, but I did submit one a few days earlier. But the objective is not to win this contest someone way better out there is already the winner. The goal is to get me back to doing Toy Photography indoors as there are things you can’t do outdoors that are inspiring to do.

Though I may only have a short time to put things together it was that prop I need that was difficult to recall where I had it put on storage. I almost tore down the room just to dig it up in the process had a re-arranging of so many things at the same time finding some toys I have stored somewhere that I’ve forgotten that it existed.





The Crucial Object

Sometime during the automotive course, I have taken at TAFE two years ago there was this piece from a car that caught my attention. Of course, for someone into Toy Photography, there’s a potential to use and reuse that particular object. This is the Air Flow Sensor if I’m mistaken is from Holden.

This is one of the important pieces not only for the photography set up but also in an automotive perspective the part that your car needs. It measures the air going through the engine how much fuel it needs and this is one component that is still being used by most cars. It is also a personal souvenir that I found in one of the toys, which was sent from the things that I thought it was in storage somewhere else.





The Set Up

This idea was already one of those thought out setups I had in mind going back when I got the Air Flow Sensor from class. I like the grill backdrop which puts the Minifigure in a setting from another place looking beyond not facing in the camera or at least the silhouette of the subject.

I only have limited light so the final composition might not even look the way I had in mind, but it is an idea that I’ve been thinking to put together into the final image. The only thing time consuming was looking for the Air Flow Sensor. In case I couldn’t find it I already have a backup photo using a different Minifigure.

But I was persistent not to let it pass even it has taken me before dinner to find it. The overall idea was there since I used a different Minifigure two years ago for a test shot in the classroom where my instructor presented some of the Air Flow Sensors.



This one was the component that caught my attention. Of course, there are bigger ones but the tiny holes on the grills of this sensor certainly were good enough scale for a Minifigure to stand on the tiny lip. It would be great if the other side can be opened, but both sides are solid piece and it was never intended to be used for something else other than part of a car’s engine.

I’m sure someday I can reuse this again aside from the memories that tell a story about this sensor that is used in automotive class as a sample and it is no longer in use for the reason I had it with me, which is a good use for this setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment