Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Kobe Bryant | Mamba Inspired Life

01.29.2020 – More than forty eight hours has been passed and tributes poured in from NBA games to the Staples Center for the tragic death of Kobe Bryant that also include his 13-year old daughter Gianna, six family friends including Coach John Altobelli and his wife and daughter, and the pilot. All on board were killed.

The past couple of days were really somber all over the world who have followed a 17 year old became one of the NBA Greats of All Time. It was a gut wrenching day as mostly described who knew Kobe as a person beyond the basketball player people associate him with. What’s tough is that in his tragic death it also included Gianna, the heir apparent to follow his path in becoming the basketball player we all hope for is also gone.


As a casual fan I’ve been deeply affected by his tragic passing and still recovering from the loss of friends the past months. I do not personally knew Kobe Bryant but his death caught the world off guard like the way he made a slam dunk or did a fadeaway shot on the buzzer to win a game. But the past days were not a winning moment but it was indeed difficult.

I first saw a young 17 year old got drafted by the Charlotte Hornets and was traded for Vlade Divac on television news. I saw his first highlight reel from a pre-game when he dunked on a player from the Washington Wizards. I witness him and Shaq winning three titles for the Los Angeles Lakers. I also recall the time he face Michael Jordan in a regular game and during the 1998 All-Star Game. When you see him emulate Michael Jordan you know he’s something special.

The only time I saw him in person was back in 2011 when I was invited as one of the media blogger to have the opportunity to do the coverage during one of his last visits in the Philippines. But whenever Nike would have any related event connected to his shoe launches I was able to go even though he wasn't there. It was a rare opportunity to see him in person back in 2011 although he has been visiting the country several times since the late 1990s. But the moment seeing him conduct basketball clinics for Nike and seeing fans line up just to see him shows he is a global superstar and his tragic death pull the veil of reality in every one of us.

There are no words to describe or even analyse the things that happened so fast. I only woke up a couple of hours after the news started pouring in on Monday (Manila Time) morning. Like any fan we all lost it and every video that paid tribute to Kobe I feel lost reading Shaquille O’Neal’s reactions and even those who have deep connections with him resonate how painful these past days was. But as much as I try not to let emotion get into me I try to dig up some of the inspirational quotes that will forever drive me to try and be motivated to move forward in life. I don’t need the drama or use it as a ‘pity party’ to fish out LIKEs on social media. I try to honor Kobe in reflecting on my personal life and how to conduct myself moving forward.

People would say life is unfair and I’m also guilty of that too, but take a look beyond the selfish needs and focus on what’s ahead. I will reflect and give importance to the real people who reached out to me during my difficult days. To those who are true to me and stood up to my faults and really cared not to side with the wrong kind of individuals that don’t need any attention. The Mamba Mentality is already there it just needed to be called into something and that’s where I’m taking that perspective too.



On my way back to the CBD of Makati I decided to walk instead of taking the regular jeepney ride late last night and saw the graffiti of murals along Gil Puyat Avenue. I actually saw a new addition to that facade being painted this Monday (Sunday in the US) morning the day that news broke out that Kobe, his daughter Gianna, and seven of his friends died on the tragic helicopter accident.

That new addition street art features Kobe Bryant’s jersey #24 in white with the number painted in purple, since Laker games held on Sunday they wear the white home jerseys that reflect to the art that was painted this recent Monday. I only saw it upclose while I walked back to Makati.

The year 2020 was terribly difficult month this January with the bushfire in Australia, volcano eruption in Taal, the coronavirus epidemic spreading across the globe, and now this tragic death. This place is truly in its darker days and we haven’t started with February yet. But like Kobe lament about failures like everyone else I’m going to move forward and out do myself in being better and appreciate those who really cared and stuck with me to forge ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment