Thursday, November 5, 2020

LEGO® Into Orbit | Small Car Ride

When you can’t have new LEGO sets you just go back to the old ones that is in need to be pulled out of its mothballs.

Going back to 2014 a friend from the US hooked me up with the set that was actually an in-store promotional build for The LEGO Movie and that was Emmet’s car, which was actually an existing set from 2009 that was slightly modified that I had pulled out from storage this morning.

It’s one of those last minute things that kept me from leaving the house this early.

I rebuilt it from its default aesthetics based from the LEGO City transportation sub-theme, which was the Small Car (3177) that had minor changes to the colors and some parts for today’s outdoor toy shoot...



Originally, the one sent to me was not a brand new set, but mostly made from parts based from the actual Small Car (3177), but since then it also gained extra parts for the flying car alternate build. I didn’t realize that it would turned into the actual Emmet’s car that was included in the double-decker couch with a different bumper and side mirrors as well as an additional dashboard.

In the real world, it resembles the Smart Fortwo a rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2 passenger hatchback microcar manufactured by Smart, which is a division of Daimler AG. But in the LEGO world this car can only accommodate one minifigure as its driver and passenger.





The original set has 43 pieces but since I’ve slightly modified the car that have additional pieces. But this is not just about that tiny little four-wheel, it has a generic roof piece thta came in black that I managed to change this morning.

In 2018, during the Bricktober event at the SMX Convention Centre in Pasay City I got the opportunity to meet Lee Magpili, who was part of the First LEGO League that promoted with the "Moon Mission: Into Orbit” theme and he presented me a roof piece that has the text and logo design of the said theme, which from that day I haven’t used in any of the existing set or build that I have in my personal collection.





Well, that changed today when I had modifications for the Small Car (3177), which has now have more black accents on the rims, whichhad addtional side mirros, and some parts with white parts were replaced with the later color and as of this writing I’m still making changes to the car that will be my SigFig’s default transport vehicle now than what was originally for Emmet.

For now, this will be the current look for the car and I have plans to balance the two-tone accents. The final image gives you an idea what it looks like now...



Hopeful if things gets better and everyone is allowed to do events or even have commute availability the plan is to get similar pieces to build another car that would match colors with the other Classic Spacemen that I have in my personal collection.

This is a nice set that LEGO modified over the years that eventually became Emmet’s car as a free build set exclusively at Toys R’ Us in North America in 2014, which also became part of the Double-Decker Couch (30318) that had significant changes that I had adapted on the car (see above image) and it was also fun shooting it with more human environment since it is also a City Car.

No comments:

Post a Comment